by Emily Evert, NDFB Assistant Corporate Secretary
Before I share the first My NDFB Life post of 2023, I want to start off by thanking everyone who has read and explored the blog over the past several years. As an NDFB staff member, it is humbling to share our lives and who we are with our members for joy and entertainment but also educational purposes too!
I remember having the discussion with my co-workers about how our members can get to know NDFB staff better. That was how My NDFB Life was born. The idea was very exciting and to this day I still look forward to reading posts from my co-workers every Friday! It is sometimes a side of them or some of their family that I never see, and it is fun to see what they have been up to. It’s also fun to look back on what I have written and reflect on those moments of raising kids, busy schedules, mental health, and my job.
So, to kick off My NDFB Life for 2023 I want to share 25 things that people may not know about me but can hopefully help them get to know me better!
- Do you have any nicknames? No, and I do not like being called “Em.” However, there are a few people who have always called me “Em” and it has never bothered me!
- Are you named after anyone? My middle name, Joan, was my paternal grandmother’s middle name.
- Do you have any siblings? Yes, two older brothers.
- Where did you grow up? Moorhead, Minn.
- What activities did you do in high school? Soccer and golf.
- What kind of music do you like? 90’s Hip-Hop/Rap. I probably listen to Salt-N-Pepa daily!
- What are you allergic to? Gold Sodium Thiomalate (Gold). Everyone always jokes it must be nice for my husband to never have to buy me jewelry.
- What are you jealous of? People who can wear jewelry.
- Vacation dreams? At the top of my vacation list are skiing in Park City, Utah and visiting Banff National Park. I also really want to visit the Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum in Poland.
- Left or right-handed? Left! Both of my kids are left-handed as well, and we think it is because I unknowingly always handed them things to their left hand.
- Do you collect anything? Yes! I have a score card from every golf course I have ever golfed at and a sticker from every mountain or ski resort I have skied. Also, and I’m not sure I want to admit this, and I necessarily don’t “collect” them, but I keep all my kids’ baby teeth after they fall out. Our pediatrician told us after my oldest was born that milk teeth are rich in stem cells and can be used to grow a multitude of other cells if one of our kids ever needs replacement tissue or a tissue transplant! So, we have a box for each child with specific inserts for each tooth.
- Do you have a significant other? Yes, and we will be celebrating our 10-year wedding anniversary this year!
- Do you have kids? Yes, two girls.
- What book changed your life? The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker. If you’re a parent or a young adult in their early 20s I highly recommend reading this book!
- What is your favorite quote? “Leave it private, until its permanent”
- What do you dislike that everyone else seems to like? Football
- What do you like that everyone else seems to dislike? Large homes built in the late 1800s and early 1900s. And giant breed dogs!
- Do you have any pets? Yes, two dogs, Scout and Macy. Scout is too dramatic and lazy to take a decent photo these days.
- What is your favorite color? Orange
- If you could make one rule for everyone in the world to follow, what would it be? ZIPPER MERGE!! I am the person who will use a lane until the cones make you merge, but someone always lets me in!
- Biggest pet peeve? When people drag their feet while they walk.
- Favorite activity to do? Ski
- One thing I will never do again? Camp in a tent during a multi-day music festival.
- What are you afraid of? Needles
- Something most people don’t know about me: I own an embarrassing number of athletic shoes because I don’t like to wear them more than a few times.